Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Coming Out (Part 2)

Been more than a year since I wrote this Coming Out (Part 1), and I never had a chance (or willingness) to write the second part.

Like I said, coming out for me is not only about myself. It's also about my family. I also said that they deserved the truth. But, will the truth make their life harder?

Sometimes I think that I am selfish, coming out to my family. It's like I demand them to embrace my being gay, without thinking how it will affect their lives. Honestly I had never given it a thought before I came out, until someone was approaching my sister. He was nice and okay. But we never knew whether he would be okay with who I am. Well, my sister will have her own family, and it is important, at least for her, that her future husband accepts me. It is a burden somehow for her, I think, finding a nice guy ain't easy, let alone finding a right partner that can accept his brother for who he really is.

Maybe I over think. When I asked my sister about it, she said that as long as I was okay, she would be okay. She said that she felt fine having a gay brother, that it wouldn't affect her life as much as I thought.

I don't know what future brings. I am sorry that I've made her life a bit harder. I just can wish that whoever her partner is, he has a big heart and an open mind.

I am not trying to scare you guys. What I am trying to say is there will be consequences. Consequences that not only you, but the members of your family, perhaps, will carry for the rest of your and their lives when you decide to come out.

The question is, "is it worth?"

In my case, I didn't know those consequences. But if I were given a chance to turn back time, I would just do the same. This guilty feeling of mine will always be there. It was bad at the beginning, but it will just fade away as life goes, as my sister's love life turn to be just fine, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment